1. Sharon Van Etten - Tramp
That voice, those songs, the intensity — Sharon Van Etten, this isn’t a review so much as a marriage proposal. Where did you come from? Why are you so good at everything? Can I have your number?
2. Deep Sea Diver - History Speaks
That voice, those songs, the intensity — Jessica Dobson, this isn’t a review so much as a marriage proposal. Where did you come from? Why are you so good at everything? Can I have your number?
Oh, I said that already about SVE? WHAT ARE YOU, THE INDIE ROCK CRUSH DREAM KILLER?
3. Father John Misty - Fear Fun
J. Tillman writes like a honty-tonk Beatle, sings like a Fleet Fox (because he was a Fleet Fox), and has a sense of humor that is somewhere in the middle of Nilsson and Zappa. No way I’m not loving that.
4. The Orwells - Remember When
Listen to the album, and then realize that these lo-fi punk-rocking fuckers are all still in high school. Something’s in the water in Chicagoland.
5. The Lumineers – S/T
Hey, Mumford & Sons — suck it.
6. Damien Jurado - Maraqopa
7. Grizzly Bear - Shields
8. Soundgarden - King Animal
9. Sera Cahoone - Deer Creek Canyon
10. Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls
11. Gardens & Villa – S/T
12. Jack White - Blunderbuss
13. Bowerbirds - The Clearing
14. Deep Time – S/T
15. Heartless Bastards - Arrow
16. Band of Skulls - Sweet Sour
17. Gary Clark Jr. - Blak and Blu
18. The Maldives - Muscle for the Wing
19. Tame Impala - Lonerism
20. Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Psychedelic Pill
Honorable mentions: The Avett Brothers - The Carpenter; Baroness - Yellow & Green; Beach House - Bloom; Christian Mistress -Possession; Delta Spirit – S/T; Dr. Dog - Be the Void; Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel…; King Tuff – S/T; The Mynabirds - General; Pinback -Information Retrieved; Sea Wolf - Old World Romance; Two Gallants - The Bloom and the Blight